Sunday, April 18, 2010

"Birthday Special"


Wanting to take a friend out for a memorable birthday but don't have the cash to splurge? I've got the place.

142 Victoria Street, Richmond is where you will find Thy Thy 1, up a dingy, scary, rickety, bright pink staircase.

This it up there as one of my all time favourites, and has been for at least fourteen years. My favourite is taking someone there who has never experienced it before, the apprehension on their face until they chow down into some of the most reliable food in Melbourne.

I have tried half of the menu but I keep going back to my trusty favourites: Vegetarian spring rolls (which I wrap in lettuce, add Vietnamese mint and bean shoots, a squirt of Hoi Sin sauce and dunk in all into a vinegar chilli carrot concoction) followed by rice noodle soup with vegetables - Pho.

This is all well and good but definitely is not the highlight of the night.

If you are taking a birthday boy or girl who has never been to Thy Thy it is ideal, they have no idea what they are in for. On arrival I whisper to the waiter "can we please have a birthday special for the girl with the black scarf" and my job is done for the night.

After devouring our meals......BANG!!! The lights go out! The bells are ringing! The entire restaurant, which seats about 100, are singing "Happy Birthday" and a massive penis shaped banana fritter with sparklers is heading towards our table. It is hysterical! The pricelessness of the birthday girls face when she realises all the fuss is for her.

Another bonus, it's BYO.

No comments:

Post a Comment