Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Best in Australia


For someone with Italian blood, it is always hard to beat Nonna's cooking.

I think I have found an exception! Supermaxi,305 St Georges Rd Fitzroy North is the brainchild of ex-Ladro-ites.

Salumi platter - ohhhhhhhhhhh by far the best cold cuts this side of the Mediterranean. Who would have thought meat could give this much pleasure to someone who once considered becoming a vego?

How could I go past my favourite vegetable, cauliflower, for primi? This lightly battered and super salty crunch flavour sensation kicked Nonna's equivalent straight up the backside.

This food is simplicity at it's finest. Not trying to over complicate things and keeping it real.

I opted for the house-made artichoke stuffed ravioli with sage butter. Words cannot explain how this packs a punch. It got slightly embarrassing with all the "ooohh!" and "aaaaahh!" from our table, it was starting to sound like an SBS late night movie.

The spaghetti with napoli sauce was the epitome of Italy. Freshest pasta possible (feel like it was made especially for us), truely garlicy tomato sugo and not trying to be anything other than spaghetti with napoli sauce.

Having travelled through Italy, I have come to the conclusion that Supermaxi is "the best Italian food in Australia". Trust me, I've tried a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment