Thursday, May 27, 2010

An hour drive for a steak

Ok, well, it really shouldn't have taken an hour to get there but I have zero idea when it comes to the geography of Melbourne's western suburbs.

I wasn't sure if our back seat driver really was a dodgy GPS or she just found it amusing seeing our driver struggle in a car which was way too small for him, so much so, he had to duck.

Finally we arrive at what I see to be "just another pub", Station Hotel, 59 Napier Street, Footscray, it is pretty daggy in appearance. As I walk in, skepticism is creeping up, although I am told to brace myself for what I am about to experience.

Proving to all that I can really eat, I opt for the 400g, 150 day old Angus rump.

Chips - fat, golden and have the perfect amount of crunch.
Salad - fresh, crisp and with an amazingly light dressing
Steak - melt in your mouth, literally! I have no idea what they did to this steak but it was up there with the best. Having tasted both the pepper and the béchamel sauces, I can say they both equally compliment the steak.

With a chef in the kitchen from Arzak in Spain, expectations were high. I am pleased to say, for me, expectations were exceeded.

As if that wasn't enough to eat, I had a nibble of the pav, the chocolate soufflé and the sticky date. Everyone always loves a bit or sticky date ;) too much food! Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment